The provision of basic health care, in what was then called the "Naga Hills" ,started in 1905-1906 when a 10 bedded dispensary was established in Kohima. In due course, the dispensary was upgraded to the Kohima Civil Hospital with 60 beds which was roughly located on the sites where the present Union Baptist Church and Kohima College stands today .During the "Battle of Kohima" from April to June 1944,the Kohima Civil Hospital was extensively damage.Records indicate that on 9thAugust 1944, the Hospital was shifted to the Mission compound buildings below Kohima Village between Mission Mission Road and High School Road. Sir Charles pausey, the last British Deputy Commissioner of Naga Hills who was incharge of civil authority over the district right through the months when the furious battle raged, after inspecting the hospital. Records indicate that on 9thAugust 1944, the Hospital was shifted to the Mission compound buildings below Kohima Village between Mission Mission Road and High School Road. Sir Charles pausey, the last British Deputy Commissioner of Naga Hills, who was incharge of civil authority over the district right through the months when the furious battle raged, after inspecting the hospital on 13thDec.1944 wrote "The Kohima Civil Hospital has now been established in the Mission Building. The next year in january 1945, an additional 50 beds were set aside at the Assam Rilief military Hospitals as "Naga Ward" This ward did not cater to outdoor patients. At this point,the viceroy of India conveyed the decision of the British Government of India to Provide a new hospital in grateful acknowledgement of the outstanding services the Nagas had extended for the success of the Allied Forces in the Kohima Battle .
The project was to provide100 beds for civilians,50 beds for IAssam Rifles, 10maternity beds and 16beds for infectious diseases-comprising to a total of 176 beds .Besides these ,there was a proposal for 15 :beds for T.B patient and 50 beds for leprocy patients. Construction started in 1946 on the site where It is presently located . The land was generously donated by some elders of T.Khel of Kohima village. The contractors were the Harbanslal Malhotra Construction Company of Calcutta . Manufacturing razor blades in India in the midst of its construction, in March 1948, the Kohima Civil Hospital was officially shifted to its new site. In June 1949, the Hospital was handed over to the provincial Government of Assam.
The Hospital was renamed "NAGA HOSPITAL" reflecting the nature of the gift give to the Nagas by His Majesty's Government of India, headed in Delhi at the time by Lord Louis Mountbatten, The last Governor General of India. During the Golden jubilee celebration on Dec.1988 the hospital was upgraded to a Referral centre with funds provided by the Government of India during the Prime Ministership of Shri. HD Deve Gowda and the work is being carried out by Sir. Edward Dunlop Hospital Group and is expected to be completed in two years time after which an intergrated Health Care System will Made available to the people of Nagaland and the neighbouring states. Naga Hospital has come a long way from the time it was gifted in 1948.Today it is the premier Hospital in the states for delivering the best health care facility to the people of Nagaland with a bed strength increased to 300 beds.
The State has many trained medical and paramedical personnel from various parts of the country, who are at present unemployed. Few who are financially stable have taken the initiatives of starting their own private enterprises. This is the "grey area" where the existence of the "Autonomous Status" of the Naga Hospital Authority can be justified. The Autonomous status of the Naga Hospital Authority, Kohima, was a vision and has now become a reality for the Government - aided funds to meet the staff salaries, electricity, water supply and other consumables. However, because of non-availability of manpower with regards to super - special services like Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, and Organ transplants, patients will continue to be referred outside the state to the government recognized centers to avail these service. Nevertheless, it is the aim of the Naga Hospital Authority , Kohima, to provide even these facilities in the near future by opening avenues in the form of invitation to consultants in all these form various parts of the country to render their services in the hospital.